Our Vision for Our City
- Christchurch is an even greater place to live, work and play than it was before the earthquakes. It is a place where all its citizens feel they belong.
- Christchurch has risen from the earthquakes as a creative, innovative, green, smart city, which is the best place in the world to bring up a family.
- Our city is based on social justice and gives all its citizens a fair go: the economy is strong and there is full employment.
- The people of Christchurch all have access to warm and safe housing, excellent education and affordable leisure facilities: we share a way of life that is second to none.
- Maori and Pakeha to have a genuine partnership based on the Te Tiriti O Waitangi, with all of the people able to participate in open, democratic decision-making.
- Cantabrians of all cultures and ethnicities are able to fully participate in the life of the city.
- Our Christchurch environment is protected and preserved, with all of its precious water, rivers, beaches, hills, and parks cared for.
- Transport, homes and industries are eco-friendly and energy-efficient, and we have clean air and water.
- Basic services, such as roads, footpaths, drainage, sewerage and water supply are promptly repaired or replaced and then maintained to a high standard.
- Our port, airport, electricity network, city housing and other strategic assets remain in the ownership of the people.
- Christchurch is a safe city for everyone, one that nurtures our young people, keeps our elderly secure, with people of all cultures respected and valued.
'The People's Choice' is your choice!
The People's Choice team brings together an impressive group of people. They want to consult with their communities, hear their views and work towards making their areas the best place to live, work and raise a family.
Some of our team have long experience as Councillors and as Community Board members. All have taken responsibilities in many different organisations. They are active members of their communities and are proud to represent them.
The quality of our team makes it "The People's Choice" for local government in Christchurch.
Support us on Facebook...
Nurses Organisation endorses People's Choice DHB candidate in Canterbury.
Heather Symes, a People's Choice candidate for the Canterbury District Health Board, has been endorsed in her candidacy by the New Zealand Nursing Organisation.
Symes stated she was, "delighted and honoured" to receive the endorsement of the lead professional and industrial organisation for nurses, midwives, caregivers and other health workers, representing over 46,000 members in all areas of health services.
Symes said, "My core beliefs align to those of NZNO, which has a very long history of advocating to improve the health status of all citizens of NZ to receive appropriate healthcare and social justice, with a commitment to bicultural partnership."
The People's Choice (formerly Christchurch 2021), the left-leaning Christchurch local political grouping, has completed their selections for the upcoming local body elections.
Paul McMahon, Chairperson of and candidate for The People's Choice, says he is very pleased with the line-up, "We have a very impressive array of candidates, with new faces and experienced ones, with a mix of backgrounds and qualifications, including three with doctorates and a number with masters degrees - this is a talented group of people committed to their communities."
"I am very proud of the work of our sitting Councillors, Glenn Livingstone, Jimmy Chen and Yani Johanson," McMahon said, "They have withstood a torrid three years and come out vindicated: if the majority of Councillors had heeded their concerns, the Council would be in far better shape now.